"Our job is not to make up anybody’s mind, but to open minds, and to make the agony of decision-making so intense you can escape only by thinking."
- Fred W. Friendly (1915-1998)

"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth will make you mad."
- Aldous Huxley

"If you have ever injected truth into politics, then you have no politics."
- Will Rogers

Monday, December 16, 2013

The Internet Thinks We Are Stupid...and Illiterate

And it is really starting to p*ss me off!

Have you noticed the increasing ratio of news stories that seem to come in "video only" form? 

First of all...this is offensive as h*ll to me.  It seems the publishers of said news items don't think I am capable of reading it on my own (I have a beyond-college vocabulary and comprehension, so I don't need some almost-literate bimbo to read it to me....at least not for another thirty years or so I hope!).

Add to that the fact that said video is always 1) preceded by some brain dead advertising aimed at the sixth graders in the audience; and that 2) the "reader" when they finally get around to it either misses or just ignores some very salient facts; 3) or adds a lot of fluff to the story that has no value at all. 

It has gotten to the point where if I click on what appears to be a news link and it pops up a video...I just kill it immediately.   I hope we are not becoming such a stupid nation of "feed me your version of the news" that this becomes a normal delivery mechanism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but keep it on topic, factual, and please show some thought. Anything else will be deleted.

Anonymous comments are also deleted, unread unless you notify me in advance of your pseudonym and give me verifiable contact information.