"Our job is not to make up anybody’s mind, but to open minds, and to make the agony of decision-making so intense you can escape only by thinking."
- Fred W. Friendly (1915-1998)

"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth will make you mad."
- Aldous Huxley

"If you have ever injected truth into politics, then you have no politics."
- Will Rogers

Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Folly of the Filibuster


I disagree with David Brooks on this one - I don't think the presence of the filibuster helps in any way the reputation, "comity", or certainly the effectiveness of the Senate.   The filibuster is not mentioned in any fashion in the Constitution, instead it is a pure invention of evil political parties to try and subvert the process to their own ends.

Indeed, I think the filibuster is an abject admission of failure:

"My ideas or standing are so poorly reasoned out or just plain indefensible that I cannot persuade anyone to move to my side, or even compromise.  Therefore I will basically throw a second-grader's schoolyard fit until my face turns blue (or I keel over), then you will be sorry!!!".  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but keep it on topic, factual, and please show some thought. Anything else will be deleted.

Anonymous comments are also deleted, unread unless you notify me in advance of your pseudonym and give me verifiable contact information.