"Our job is not to make up anybody’s mind, but to open minds, and to make the agony of decision-making so intense you can escape only by thinking."
- Fred W. Friendly (1915-1998)

"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth will make you mad."
- Aldous Huxley

"If you have ever injected truth into politics, then you have no politics."
- Will Rogers

Saturday, October 6, 2012

TED

I just realized that I quoted a TED video in the last post, and I have not really properly introduced TED here to the thinkers that I hope will read this blog. 

TED is one of my favorite spots on the web, full of the world's best thinkers and displaying a remarkable diversity of viewpoints.  You can read more about TED on the site, but it is one of my refuges when I want to stimulate my brain...or just to restore my faith that there are people out there thinking and doing great work, despite what the 'traditional' news sources are reporting.  

If you have never been there - here is a sample.  This is one of my favorite talks that I have listened to and watched multiple times.   The talk (from 2006) by Sir Ken Robinson is full of humor and wry observations, but also has some very pithy and pointed comments about how our modern public school system attempts to 'educate out' the very creativitiy and individualism we so desperately need to be cultivating.  Its only about 20 minutes long, but well worth watching - I know his two most recent books are on my "to-read" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but keep it on topic, factual, and please show some thought. Anything else will be deleted.

Anonymous comments are also deleted, unread unless you notify me in advance of your pseudonym and give me verifiable contact information.