"Our job is not to make up anybody’s mind, but to open minds, and to make the agony of decision-making so intense you can escape only by thinking."
- Fred W. Friendly (1915-1998)

"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth will make you mad."
- Aldous Huxley

"If you have ever injected truth into politics, then you have no politics."
- Will Rogers

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Welcome (and who the heck is this guy???)

Well Hello!

If you have stumbled on this fledgling blog, you obviously have way too much time on your hands, or a insane curiosity about the dark corners of the Internet.

I will be introducing myself in several upcoming posts here, but for now just know that I am a late-entrant blogger, primarily because I could not settle on a particular topic or area to blog about.  While casting about for signs of intelligent life on the Internet (an increasingly despairing undertaking I am afraid) I came across this old post  which got me to thinking...

I am uncomfortable with the term 'polymath' because as it is currently defined (including in that <sarcasm>unassailable fountain of all knowledge, Wikipedia</sarcasm>) it says that a polymath is an "expert" in many fields.  I have long admired the Leonardo da Vincis of the world, and only recently realized that I have spent most of my adult life trying to be like them.

However, I am definitely a Polymath "trainee"....I am interested in an insanely wide variety of topics, from science to law, but can only claim "expert" status in a small number of those.   I hope to engage like-minded people on this blog, so that I can learn more about the areas I am interested in but do not understand as well as others. 

Therefore you will be seeing posts on a variety of topics -- from science (just because it is so d*mn cool and interesting) to politics (just because it is so d*mn uncool and nauseating).  Posts will appear in somewhat random order -- whatever interests me gets posted, whatever does not (and/or appears on cable news) will not appear.

I expect (and want) to express some strong opinions here on a variety of topics  -- opinions that I know do not mesh well with at least some, but that is partly the point - truly intelligent discussion has largely disappeared from the American landscape these days.   The only requirements to particpate here are intelligence, a strong sense of logic, and and an ability to realize and a willingness to admit when you might be all or partly wrong....and to listen to your fellow earth-citizens when they have good ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but keep it on topic, factual, and please show some thought. Anything else will be deleted.

Anonymous comments are also deleted, unread unless you notify me in advance of your pseudonym and give me verifiable contact information.